Graduate Scholarships from Granting Agencies
Visionnez ce webinaire pour en savoir plus sur les programmes de bourses des organismes subventionnaires et pour accéder au témoignage d’un membre d’un comité de sélection.
Federal and provincial research granting agencies offer several scholarship programs to graduate and prospective graduate students seeking to further their training. The goal of these scholarships is to recognize academic excellence, encourage university research, and give recipients an opportunity to acquire workplace and research experience.
Since scholarships are awarded according to the student’s research field, it is important to choose the right agency. Making the wrong choice could result in your application being rejected.
Students wishing to pursue graduate studies in the natural sciences and technology can apply to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT). Humanities students can apply to the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) and Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC). Applications from students in the health sciences should be addressed to the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS).
Natural Sciences and Technology:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT)
Social Sciences and Humanities:
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS)
The role of the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office is to oversee, in conjunction with the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, the internal selection process for these scholarship competitions. Preselected applications are forwarded to granting agencies for the last step in the selection process.
Applications for granting agencies scholarships must be submitted during fall. For more information on these scholarships, consult the Granting Agency Program Chart.
Table of scholarships from granting agencies
Many factors are taken into account when assessing applications. To stand out from the crowd, it is important to put together a comprehensive, good-quality application. To help you, the document below contains important advice from selection committee members and Université Laval professionals widely experienced in these matters.
- Apply to all the grants you are eligible for from the provincial and federal government (e.g., NSERC and FRQNT, SSHRC and FRQSC, CIHR and FRQS)
- Tailor your application to each funding agency—each one has its own rules and uses a different form
- Make sure you meet all the eligibility criteria of the grant program you’re applying to
- Plan your application ahead of time and draw up a work plan so you have enough time to familiarize yourself with the procedures and compile the required documents
Excellent Academic Record
- List your educational accomplishments
- Distinctions, prizes, honours, scholarships received, internships, collaborations within or outside your department, coursework, etc. Everything counts!
- Explain your academic career and link it to your career ambitions
- Demonstrate your ability to excel in a graduate program (e.g., how you have maintained or improved your grades)
Aptitude for Research
- Demonstrate your personal aptitude for advanced research
- Your sense of logic and critical thinking, initiative, motivation, ambitions, etc.
- Mention your research experience
- Work as a research assistant, training, papers, oral or poster presentations, internship reports, conferences attended, etc. It’s all worth mentioning!
- Explain the obstacles you have faced conducting other research and how you overcame them—this will demonstrate your independence and resourcefulness
Recent PhD graduates looking for a postdoctoral fellowship at Université Laval are invited to visit the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website for more information on its postdoctoral fellow support policy.
List of the main agencies offering postdoctoral fellowships
To find out about postdoctoral fellowships available in your field, visit granting agency websites or consult our Scholarship Directory.