Tips on applying for scholarships
1. Before you start
- Check the deadline.
- Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Pay close attention to the documents required and allow yourself enough time to put your application together
2. Things to include in your cover letter
- A brief summary of your academic background as it relates to the eligibility criteria
- Your current program of study)
- The diploma(s) you wish to obtain
- Your career aspirations, if known
- Explain your motivations for applying for this scholarship. This is your chance to “sell” yourself.
- What sets you apart from the other applicants?
- Draw links between your volunteer and other activities and the scholarships you are applying for
3. Details – Community Involvement Scholarship
Describe your volunteer experience. Specify:
- Since when
- Number of hours per week
- Where you volunteer
- Your role and responsibilities
- Your reasons for getting involved
- How your volunteer activities tie in with the scholarship you’re applying for
4. Details – Leadership and Entrepreneurship Scholarship
- Where does your inspiration come from?
- How would you describe your initiative?
- What do you get out of it?
5. Details – Financial Need Scholarship
Be sure to include reasonable expenses.
- What led to your financial situation?
- List any assistance you receive from other sources.
- Where have you already sought help?
- What steps have you taken to improve your situation?
- Why should we award you this scholarship?