Tuition fee exemption programs

Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur (MES) requires international students enrolled at Québec educational institutions to pay a supplemental amount of tuition fees.


Here’s a breakdown of what international students pay:*

  1. General fees paid by all students
  2. Supplemental tuition fees required by MES, in accordance with its policy on tuition fees for international students enrolled at Québec universities (Politique relative aux droits de scolarité exigés des étudiants étrangers par les universités du Québec [in French]).

*This picture represents an example of tuition fees and may vary depending on your cycle and the number of credits you are registered to.


Pay the same tuition as Québec students!

Various scholarship programs are available to reduce the supplemental tuition required by MES:

Here’s a quick reference to help you pick the right one for you.

You have questions and cannot find the information you are looking for? Contact us by email at:

Université Laval Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program for Doctoral Students

Please note that changes to the Supplemental Tuition Exemption Program may be made without prior notice throughout the year. Visit our website regularly for the latest updates.

Université Laval offers a Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program for international doctoral students. This program gives international students scholarships that bring their tuition fees down to the amount paid by Québec students.

  Eligibility criteria You must:    Exemption program duration
    • Be an international student
    • Be admitted into a regular doctoral program (90 or 96 credits)
    • Be enrolled full-time (or have an “attestation d’études à temps plein”)
    • Have a study permit that complies with Canadian immigration regulations upon your arrival at Université Laval and study in Quebec
  • First 8 semesters of enrolment in your doctoral program


  • Until you complete the number of credits in your doctoral program


Valid study permit

Due to the pandemic situation, Université Laval had exceptionally granted some accommodation by allowing distance studies. Now, students must have a valid study permit and be studying in Quebec in order to be eligible for their scholarship payments.

How to apply

First, read the eligibility criteria listed above.


Submitting your initial application

  1. Make sure you have the financial resources necessary to support yourself for the full duration of your studies.
  2. Check whether your home country has an agreement with Québec.
    1. If so, you need to apply to your home country for an exemption. Proof of this application will be required when you complete our form.
    2. If not, no such proof is required.
  3. Complete the online form.


How to renew your scholarship

Every year in April, the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office (BBAF) sends recipients of the Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program an email explaining the scholarship renewal procedure.

Students who get exemptions from their home country must submit an application with their government each year.


Application deadline

To avoid processing delays and late fees, applications should be submitted before the deadline. You are responsible for making sure your application is in order as soon as possible. Exemptions will not be applied retroactively.


Frequently asked questions

For more information, read the fact sheet or the FAQ below.


View the FAQ

Who is eligible for scholarships under the Université Laval Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program?

This program is intended for international students (excluding Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada).


Do I have to be enrolled full-time to qualify for the exemption scholarship?

Yes. You must be enrolled full-time in a regular doctoral program.


For how many semesters am I entitled to the exemption scholarship?

  • First 8 semesters of enrolment in your doctoral program


  • Until you complete the number of credits in your doctoral program (90 or 96 billed credits)

Once you reach either of these limits, you are no longer eligible for the Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program.

If you complete all research credits required for your program of study, you may register for the Ongoing research program, which offers a new tuition fee schedule that applies only to research credits. Contact your program director for more information.

What are the exclusions?

The exemption does not apply in the following situations:

  • You currently or subsequently receive a supplemental tuition fee exemption under an agreement between the Government of Québec and your home country
  • You receive a scholarship from an organization that pays your supplemental tuition fees
  • You have “permanent resident” status in Canada
  • You are a Canadian citizen
  • You are enrolled part-time in a doctoral program
  • You are enrolled in activities for which the exemption has already been granted
  • You are enrolled in the Ongoing research program (in French)
  • You are enrolled in extracurricular activities not contributing to the doctorate or as an auditor
  • You are enrolled in distance learning
  • You have completed the first 8 semesters of full-time enrolment in a doctoral program (change of program included).
  • You have completed the maximum 90 or 96 credits in your doctoral program
  • You have changed your level of study
  • You are an international student already exempted from supplemental tuition fees under MES policy:
  • You are taking French courses exempted by MES



What is the procedure for renewing a scholarship?

The Student Awards and Financial Aid Office sends students an email in April explaining how to renew scholarships.


Will I automatically be enrolled in the Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program?

No. You have to complete the application form and provide any required documents.


How do I submit my initial application?

    1. Be admitted to a full-time doctoral program.
    2. Check whether your home country has an agreement with Québec. If so, you must apply for an exemption from your home country. Proof of this application will be required when you complete our form.
    3. 3. Complete the online form.


When do I need to submit my exemption application?

Supplemental Tuition Fee Exemption Program application forms must be completed and submitted by the end of the current semester:

  • Summer semester: August 31
  • Fall semester: December 31
  • Winter semester: April 30

Any applications that are incomplete or received after the deadline will be denied. To avoid processing delays and late fees, be sure to complete the application early in the semester.


When will the scholarship be applied to my bill?

The scholarship will be applied after the deadline for withdrawing from courses with a refund. Your bill will then be adjusted and available on monPortail. However, the PDF bill you initially received will remain unchanged.


If changes are made to my file, do I have to notify anyone?

Yes, it is your responsibility to contact BBAF ( as soon as possible regarding any change in your status (withdrawal, scholarship from your country, etc.).


If, when I am accepted, I am asked to complete complementary studies or upgrading before my regular doctoral program begins, will I eligible for the exemption scholarship?

Yes, provided the preliminary, complementary, or skills upgrading courses do not exceed 6 additional credits. Moreover, these courses must be included in your student progress report. They will be counted as part of the first 8 semesters of full-time enrolment and count toward the maximum amount of authorized credits. Additional courses or credits are payable by the student at the higher rate.

BBAF reserves the right to withhold exemption for activities that would not be recognized on your student progress report or that would not be considered part of your normal program of study.


What impact will a program change have on my exemption scholarship?

Program changes are allowed, but they will have an impact on the number of credits exempted. Credits already exempted will count toward the total number of credits allowed, i.e., the first 8 semesters of full-time enrolment or until the total credits in the new regular program (90 or 96 credits, depending on the doctoral program) have been completed.


I’ve reached the exemption program credit limit. What are my options?

If your case is exceptional, you can ask for a review. For more information, please contact BBAF at


Will I receive an income tax receipt?

Each semester, the Ministère de l’enseignement supérieur-Ministry of Higher Education (MES) allows Université Laval to offer foreign students registered in one of its second or third cycle programs, a number of predetermined exemption bursaries for international tuition fees. Université Laval has decided to bonify the exemption bursary program for foreign students registered in PhD programs.

Therefore, each semester, it is possible that your exemption is included in the limit as set by the ministry of higher education (MES) or, if that limit has been reached, you could be included in the bonification part of that program as set by Université Laval.

The only difference is as follows:

The bursaries offered as part of the bonification by Université Laval are considered as academic bursaries and applied directly on your tuition fees.

Therefore for the semesters in which your exemption bursary is part of the bonification by Université Laval, an income tax receipt will be sent to you.


Exemptions available through agreements signed with MES

The program of exemptions available through agreements signed with Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur (MES) is managed by MES. It allows international students to be exempted from supplemental tuition fees so they pay the same tuition as Québec students.

You must submit your application for exemption to officials in your home country. If you have already received an exemption, please follow all conditions of exemption to remain in good standing.

French and francophone Belgian students

Under a student mobility agreement among the governments of Québec, France and the French Community of Belgium, qualifying French and francophone Belgian students enrolled in a Cycle Three university program (Doctorate) are eligible to pay the same fees as Québec residents.


Students in other categories

How to apply

  1. Check whether your country has signed a cooperation agreement or bilateral accord with Québec.
  2. Contact the authority in your country of citizenship or at the international organization that manages exemptions for information on selection criteria and to get your application form.
  3. Send your letter of admission or proof of registration from your university and the application form (Appendix II) to the organization responsible for managing exemptions in your country.
  4. The designated authorities in your country are required to send exemption applications to MES. Your country is responsible for selecting applicants. Applications sent by students directly to Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur du Québec (MES) will not be processed.
  5. Wait for a reply from the relevant organization in your home country to find out whether your application has been approved or denied.
  6. Obtain the required authorizations to do a training course of more than six months in Quebec.
Does the immigration process for new students seem complicated? Watch the video clips from the Registrar’s Office!

Other exemption programs

Under certain conditions, some international students may be exempt from lump sum payments.

For details, see the Université Laval International students (in French) page.