Tuition fee exemption programs for undergraduate and graduate programs

Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur (MES) requires international students enrolled at Québec educational institutions to pay a supplemental amount of tuition fees.


Pay the same tuition as Québec students!

Here’s a quick reference to help you pick the right one for you.

You have questions and cannot find the information you are looking for? Contact us by email at:

Exemptions available through agreements signed with MES

The program of exemptions available through agreements signed with Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur (MES) is managed by MES. It allows international students to be exempted from supplemental tuition fees so they pay the same tuition as Québec students.

You must submit your application for exemption to officials in your home country. If you have already received an exemption, please follow all conditions of exemption to remain in good standing.


How to apply

  1. Check whether your country has signed a cooperation agreement or bilateral accord with Québec.
  2. Contact the authority in your country of citizenship or at the international organization that manages exemptions for information on selection criteria and to get your application form.
  3. Send your letter of admission or proof of registration from your university and the application form (Appendix II) to the organization responsible for managing exemptions in your country.
  4. The designated authorities in your country are required to send exemption applications to MES. Your country is responsible for selecting applicants. Applications sent by students directly to Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur du Québec (MES) will not be processed.
  5. Wait for a reply from the relevant organization in your home country to find out whether your application has been approved or denied.
  6. Have a study permit in accordance with Canadian immigration regulations.
  7. Have a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) issued by Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles du Québec.