Work/Study Program

Research and teaching assistant

Labour market for international students

Work/Study Program

The Work/Study Grant Program, managed by the Université Laval Placement Service (SPLA) in cooperation with the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office (BBAF), is financed in equal parts by Québec’s Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur and Université Laval. The purpose of the program is to encourage students to pursue their studies. It allows students receiving loans and bursaries who are experiencing financial difficulties to be eligible for a grant to help them obtain employment as an assistant or contract agent.For employers to see you are eligible for the grant on the SPLA website, you must complete the form. The BBAF will review your file and send you an eligibility notice as soon as possible. When the time comes, you will be able to apply for the assistant or contract agent offers that interest you.

Seize the opportunity to work on campus!


Fill out your financial aid application

If you haven’t done so already


Confirm your eligibility

If you haven’t done so already

  • Fill out a form online.
  • BBAF will confirm your eligibility within 2 or 3 business days during the posting period.

Submit your application
to job offers available

Research and teaching assistant

All levels

A teaching assistant is a student who helps teaching staff with various tasks related to class preparation, presentation, and evaluation.

The teaching assistant may also be asked to teach with professor supervision.

For more information, contact your department, school, or faculty.

A research assistant is a student who helps a research team, a professor, or another person who receives grants or research contracts with research-related tasks.

For more information, consult the SPLA website.

An administrative assistant is a student who performs one or more tasks included in roles that are covered under Université Laval support staff union accreditation certificates, without interfering significantly with these roles.

Job market for international students

Off-campus work

In some cases, international students are allowed to work off campus.

Working in Canada

On-campus work

You can usually work on campus without having to obtain a work permit. However, you must have a valid study permit and a valid Québec Certificate of Acceptance (QCA). You must also have a social insurance number (SIN) and be enrolled full time.

Université Laval’s main services regularly hire students.

Service de placement

Campus Jobs for International Students Program

This program is managed by the Placement Service and is for international students. It provides international students with an opportunity to obtain valuable professional experience in their field of study. Students will be able to develop the skills and abilities sought in the labour market through the tasks and roles offered. The program is financed in equal parts by Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur du Québec and Université Laval.

Who it’s for

The main purpose of the Campus Jobs for International Students Program is to encourage students to pursue their studies. It is only open to international students who pay supplemental tuition fees.

Eligibility requirements
  • Be an international student
  • Pay supplemental tuition fees
  • Be enrolled full-time at Université Laval for the entire fall and winter semesters in an undergraduate, master’s, or doctoral program during the hiring period
  • For the summer semester: have studied full time during the previous winter semester and be planning to enrol full-time in the subsequent fall semester at Université Laval or be enrolled for at least 6 credits at Université Laval for the summer semester
  • For the summer semester: teaching assistants must be enrolled full-time at Université Laval for the entire summer semester (Section 4.01 of STEP’s collective agreement)
  • Be registered with SPLA
Enriching projects

Under the Campus Jobs for International Students Program, you can participate in support and development projects related to:

  • Research
  • Teaching and the improvement of teaching material
  • Development of service unit activities
  • Departmental or faculty development